Getting your hair colored, or in my case highlighted, can be very expensive. Personally, it’s $100/visit. Since I’m super cheap I usually only get my hair done 3 times a year (yes, my roots are almost always awful) but $300 is still a lot to swallow when I’m trying to pay off debt asap!
Keep in mind, I am blonde. Boxed dye with darker hair is almost always an easy match but bleaching your hair unprofessionally is a whole different world.
Here are my steps to using (blonde) boxed hair dye after my Monday night experience:
1. Find the right box of dye. Personally, I have only ever successfully used L’Oreal Feria Permanent Haircolour Gel, 3X Highlights. Most recently I tried Very Light Natural Blonde 100.
2. Call your regular salon to schedule an appointment anyway, ya know, just in case.
3. Pour yourself a glass of wine and drink. Bring it into the bathroom with you, even. It takes nerves to bleach your own head.
4. Follow the instructions on the box to dye your hair.
5. Blow dry and style your hair to see the full results.
6. Finish that bottle of wine and thank yourself for scheduling that original hair appointment because you, my dear, will have
blonde yellow, ugly roots.
Fortunately I’ve had much worse dye jobs in the past. And hey, at least I can say I tried being frugal as the first option! But I think I will stick to my minimal salon splurges from now on.