I have never exercised on vacation before. Wouldn’t even consider it.
But with two weeks at home for Christmas and a half-marathon less than 3 months away, exercise was mandatory this year. I’m dedicated to my training plan and I strongly think that if I stray too drastically I will not run my marathon and the world will end. Dramatic, I know.
So far, I have stuck to it but it hasn’t been easy. Here’s what I’ve done so far:
- Planned ahead. I have an agenda book and I write my workouts in as if they’re appointments I need to keep. Before I left New York, I wrote out my workout schedule for each day I would be gone and I was able to see how my workouts would match up with my plans. I don’t do well just “wingin” it.
- I told my family and friends that I HAVE to workout on specific days. Letting them plan accordingly helps them support you, not discourage you.
- I recruited running buddies. My sister ran and cross-trained with me most days. It’s a fun way to spend time together.
- I took full advantage of being able to walk downstairs to use the treadmill. It is never that simple to workout in New York!
|No line, controlled temps, perfection!|
- Commit. I had a family gathering in the morning, the Vikings game is on in the afternoon and more family is coming over for dinner so I picked a time that works the best and committed to it. Squeeze it in when you know it just takes a bit of effort to plan. I know some days it’s just not possible but I refuse to simply be lazy.
Matt and I are off to his family’s house for a few days so I’m hoping I can keep this up! What helps you?!